Roadside find that I couldn’t walk past made into something I’d actually keep.
This is how I found it. I checked the wiring and all seemed fine. Tried it with a bulb and it all worked.
First step was to remove the glass, sand the surface to help the paint adhere. Then spray paint it matt black.
I missed photographing the next step for some reason! I ground the surface of the glass, with a dremel to remove the floral pattern and to frost the glass. I knew that I wanted to use a flickering bulb and they really need some extra diffusion to help the illusion of being a flame. Slow and steady is the trick with the dremel, it took me around 2 or 3 hours just to frost the glass and I only chipped one of the bent over lips when rushing at the end.
Last step was to freehand the tentacles in a black acrylic paint. With the light behind it took a couple of coats to get a constant matt black.
The photos don’t do it justice so I will try and sort a video out.